Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Generosity & Kindness To Others.....Pass It On!

Lately I've been doing a lot of thinking and a lot of planning for this summer.  In between shoots (which I hope  you all plan on booking a lot of shoots and keeping me busy this summer lol) and other fun summertime things (like Canada Day, Independance Day and of course my own favorite - My BIRTHDAY lol)  I have a lot of things I want to accomplish for others!

One of the greatest things I think about being a photographer, for myself anyhow, I cannot speak for all photographers, is being able to give back to the community and help others in so many ways!  I was always raised to give back as much as I can, whenever I can and it is something I feel very passionately about!  In fact if you've been to my Facebook fan page lately, you probably already realize this with the amount of wonderful fundraisers & causes I pass on to all my great fans to help support!  When the Tsunami and devastation hit Japan, my friend and fellow photographer Kelly, as well as over 35 other artisans stepped up and helped put on a first of its kind fundraiser here in Medicine Hat, and raised approximately $1000.00 for Red Cross. A few weeks later, I saw a note from the lady in charge of the Ronald McDonald House Silent Auction, and donated another photo package to help raise money there as well.

Recently however, there have been so many more great causes that have been brought to the forefront for me and I'll be getting into each in more depth in their own posts - so don't worry if this one only goes over the briefest of details, more are to come you can be sure! And I am, of course, always open to many more ideas as well!  Let me know! I love to help!

So this summer I have quite a few big and small projects and here they are:  Again - remember I will be posting about each individually so do not panic! More info will be being posted on each event! And I am also open to other great ideas to add to these causes as well as open to helping other great causes you suggest!

1)  Slave Lake Fires:
This small town of 7,000 people was ravaged by an out of control forest fire that destroyed over 30-40% of this small town - including homes, businesses & infrastructure. 
 A) Shoot For Slave Lake
 B) Slave Lake Photo Project

2)  Remember Alex Brown Foundation & Oprah's No Phone Zone Challenge
Alex Browns family was featured on Extreme Home Makeover after she died due to distracted driving - driving while texting and not wearing her seatbelt.  Her family has made it their mission to go and let people know the dangers of driving distracted! It is something you hear about all the time these days and something I would like to encourage people learning about and taking Alex's or Oprah's Pledge! Please check out her story HERE also you can check out the RAB Foundation on Facebook HERE

3)  It Gets Better Campaign 
Although the It Gets Better Campaign is aimed mostly at LGTB teens, it also speaks out to many about bullying in general as well.  I was bullied as a child in school and recently, my friend Tracey's 14 year old daughter in the UK was bullied so badly, that she tried to commit suicide.  Thankfully, Tracey's daughter lived, but it brought this issue back into my heart again.  I had also always loved the song MEAN by Taylor Swift against bullying as well.  The day after I heard the news about my friends daughter, I heard it again and instead of singing it with glee like I had been since it came out; I was speechless and tears streamed down my face.  I even contacted Kix Brooks to dedicate the song to Tracey's daughter.  I decided then and there, I wanted to be able to do something to help get the word out to teens that bullying is NOT okay and there is always hope, It Does Get Better!  

- This will be a collaborative photo project with my friend Kelly from La Crosse Photography as it is something near and dear to both of our hearts.

4)  CNIB  & Service Animals
My cousin, Hy, has been blind most of his life.  He has also changed laws for those with vision impairments and service dogs as well.  I also know many really fantastic Service (and SURF-ice) animals that do so much in their community - above & beyond caring for and tending to their "Hoomans" .  So I would like to do something to help them out this summer as well for all that they do to help those with vision impairments and other disabilities as well!  
- I will be doing a photo project that I hope to put into a book format and/or calendar with proceeds going towards CNIB & other Service Animal Foundations in Canada.

5)  Animal Rescue Project
As many of you have probably guessed by the fact that I am a Pet Photographer, I have a huge heart & passion for animals of all shapes & sizes and it breaks my heart to see them hurt!  In fact, I have 2 rescued cats, Lisa-Lee & Poly-Ana who are the light of my life.  One came from the local SPCA and the other came from S.H.A.R.E.S in Edmonton.  
- I do already have listed on my website & Facebook fan page that if you are a local animal rescue group and would like some great photos to help get these wonderful fur-babies into their new homes, please contact me I do offer free sessions & cds with full print rights to Animal Rescue Groups!!!
- I would also like to on top of that do a Rescue Animal Photo Project this would have shots of many rescued animals that would eventually be put into a photo book and/or calendar with proceeds going to local rescue groups!
- I would also like to do a fundraiser over the summer (I'm thinking around August?)

6)  Last but not least - The Faces Of Rheumatic Disease - Auto Immune Disease Awareness!
I have had a rare invisible chronic auto immune disease since I was 9 years old.  This is something esp. near and dear to my heart.  There is no known cause or cure and there are over 100 different rheumatic diseases out there.  They strike anyone of any age, creed or gender at any time.  It strikes more people than Diabetes, Cancer & Heart Disease - and yet people care and know less about it than any of those big 3 illnesses.  I would like to help put a change to that, help raise awareness & help bring hope to those of us suffering from it and help us to FIGHT for a CURE!


- I am doing a photo project "The faces of rheumatic disease" again will be a book with proceeds going to Arthritis Society
- Another book photo project is the "Rheumatic Disease Photo Journal" again with proceeds going to Arthritis  Society
- Fundraiser in the Park (September) for Arthritis Awareness Month in Canada!

So thats a few of my projects for the summer! If you have more ideas be sure to contact me! I am always willing to help out any way I am able to and I am always open to new ideas! Check out my upcoming posts for more in depth details about each of these projects and what you can do to help!

Wishing you all a beautiful day and be sure to keep watch for my upcoming June & Fathers Day Specials & Contests too!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Animal Rescue Groups

If you are a non profit animal rescue/sanctuary/organization and would like/need photos done of the animals in your care so they can be adopted quickly, please be sure to contact me! I will happily come out and take photos of the animals and give you a CD with the digital copies on it & print rights to them so that these great animals can find their fur-ever homes ASAP. I can even post the photos and their information on my F.B. Studio fan page to help find these babies loving homes if you would like.

I have 2 feline rescues as many of you know already, My Sweet Lisa-Lee & Lil Miss Poly-Ana; two great joys in my life that I cannot imagine my world without, and without them I'd not be here as a photographer. I would be thrilled to help your furry friends find their fur-ever homes! So please be sure to contact me HERE if you are an animal rescue/sanctuary that would like to have some photos taken.