Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Slave Lake Fires & Summer Project #1

This past week has been a tragic one for us in Alberta and I wanted to take some time on here to acknowledge this tragedy and also all the heroes that have come out of it as well.  Many hours north of us, is a small town called Slave Lake.  Its a town of around 7,000 people.  Last week over 30-40% of this small town was consumed in the blink of an eye by an out of control wild fire.  People went from on alert to a mass mandatory evacuation in a matter of a few hours....and then watched in horror as the fire consumed their homes, businesses & major infrastructures.  This was hard for many of us stuck on the sidelines so far away to watch in horror as well worried for friends, loved ones and complete strangers alike.  For those who don't for some bizarre reason know what I'm talking about....here is the video about what happened in Slave Lake.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5m6OErRXpA

I watched the videos glued to them and all the information coming in, with tears streaming down my face for these poor families and town folk. I also watched, with pride as from coast to coast, despite the fact that so many of us are strapped with these tough economic times, that almost every area had a drop off for items for those in Slave Lake, transportation companies transported items free of charge, radio stations took up donations, all this of course on top of monetary donations coming in for Red Cross & Salvation Army.  Little kids made lemonade stands and donated their hard earned $14.00 to Slave Lake Victims!  It was extremely moving!  I know many have also written to Ty Pennington & The Extreme Home Makeover Team in hopes that they can also help raise hope for those in Slave Lake.

Being so far south of Slave Lake, I felt fairly helpless. I did however, find one way to help! Actually, I found 2!  One is the Slave Lake Photo Shoot Project & the other is the Shoot For Slave Lake Project.

1) Slave Lake Photo Shoot Project is a large group of local photographers donating their time and efforts to help those in Slave Lake recover some of their memories.  Although we cannot replace all of their photographs of their family & loved ones, we can give them new ones to start again with.  If you are a local photographer who would like to participate in this project or know someone who would - please be sure to check them out! If you are a Slave Lake Evacuee or know one - please have them check out the very long list of photographers province wide that have donated their time to help!  Please note that if you are or know an evacuee who's in Medicine Hat, please give them my information - I am on this list to help those who would like to rebuild their family memories!!!

2) The Shoot For Slave Lake Project is another fantastic project taking place NATION WIDE & INTERNATIONALLY! Please check out the list of photographers participating near you HERE.  What photographers are offering is simple.  Make a donation to a charity helping Slave Lake (ie Red Cross, Salvation Army) and show your receipt to get a free shoot etc.  Every studio has their own offer up so be sure to check them out and what they are offering in exchange for YOUR help!


So heres the scoop for my studio:  If you show ME a receipt of $50.00 or more to Red Cross OR Salvation Army FOR SLAVE LAKE specifically - I will offer you a free mini shoot! A mini shoot is 20-30 minutes long & gives you a disk of 10-15 of the top photos from the shoot on disk with full print rights!  An amazing deal for such a small donation to a great cause!!!  

Please remember while you are on either or both of these pages - to check these wonderfully generous photographers out and support them while they try to help those in Slave Lake!

And while you're at it and if you haven't already - be sure to go to the Red Cross or Salvation Army and donate today to help these people rebuild their community, homes and lives!

News Photo Courtesy of CTV Edmonton

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Animal Rescue Groups

If you are a non profit animal rescue/sanctuary/organization and would like/need photos done of the animals in your care so they can be adopted quickly, please be sure to contact me! I will happily come out and take photos of the animals and give you a CD with the digital copies on it & print rights to them so that these great animals can find their fur-ever homes ASAP. I can even post the photos and their information on my F.B. Studio fan page to help find these babies loving homes if you would like.

I have 2 feline rescues as many of you know already, My Sweet Lisa-Lee & Lil Miss Poly-Ana; two great joys in my life that I cannot imagine my world without, and without them I'd not be here as a photographer. I would be thrilled to help your furry friends find their fur-ever homes! So please be sure to contact me HERE if you are an animal rescue/sanctuary that would like to have some photos taken.