Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Anti Bullying, Suicide Prevention & It Gets Better - Summer Project #3

It Gets Better Campaign 
Although the It Gets Better Campaign is aimed mostly at LGTB teens, it also speaks out to many about bullying in general as well.  I was bullied as a child in school and recently, my friend Tracey's 14 year old daughter in the UK was bullied so badly, that she tried to commit suicide.  Thankfully, Tracey's daughter lived, but it brought this issue back into my heart again.  I had also always loved the song MEAN by Taylor Swift against bullying as well.  The day after I heard the news about my friends daughter, I heard it again and instead of singing it with glee like I had been since it came out; I was speechless and tears streamed down my face.  I even contacted Kix Brooks to dedicate the song to Tracey's daughter.  I decided then and there, I wanted to be able to do something to help get the word out to teens that bullying is NOT okay and there is always hope, It Does Get Better!  I also have many friends & family members who are part of the Pride community here and around the world.  I know many of them have had to deal with bullying & prejudice from family, friends, co-workers etc. and would like to also show my support for them as well. On top of that, I had a good friend in High School who also committed suicide and succeeded.  It ripped through our friends like a knife and I know none of us has ever completely healed from it.  Even though we do not know to this day why he chose that path, it is something still near and dear to me and something I hope to prevent ANYONE ELSE from EVER EVER Having to go through again!

This is a project that I will be working on with my friend and fellow photographer Kelly, from La Crosse Photography.  It is a cause near and dear to both of us and something we feel strongly about spreading the message for.  


We will be taking photos throughout the summer with the words - IT GETS BETTER as well as other anti-bullying & suicide prevention photographs that will be taken and compiled and put into a book and possibly also a calendar - with as much of the proceeds going to the IT GETS BETTER anti bullying & suicide prevention campaign as possible (I only say that because it will cost to get these published and out to the public - we will not be keeping any of the proceeds for ourselves - it will go to the cost of publication & distribution and to the charity itself ONLY).  Please watch both our sites over the summer as we will be needing models for this.  As it is a fundraiser - it will not be a paid model shoot - all models would have to be willing to work for free knowing its going to a great cause - and would of course also receive copies of the photos they are in as well.  I would especially like to get a few teens & adults too that have been bullied or have known someone lost to suicide - together for these shoots (weather you are a GLBT person or not - no matter why you have been bullied or gotten to that point, we would like to have you participate)!  As well, I would like to encourage any local celebrities etc in town (athletes, politicians, media personnel, emergency personnel, musicians, business owners, teachers etc.) that would like to also pose for this & to help spread this message of HOPE -  please contact Kelly or myself on our fan pages and let us know!  Please help us tell the young people here in Medicine Hat, Canada and around the World that It Will Get Better and that suicide is not the answer.  There are people who care and love them and they have something amazing to contribute to our society!  


If possible, I would also like to try to put together a fundraiser for this as well to raise awareness in a big way as well, although I have no solid ideas for this just yet.  If anyone has any ideas for such an event, would like to help put on this event and would like to help with ideas or putting one together - please contact myself or Kelly on our fan pages!


I cannot wait to get started on this very large and very special project!!!!! If you are interested in helping out in any way please feel free to contact either Kelly or myself! And if you are a teen who's being bullied for ANY reason or even if you're not being bullied but are depressed and thinking of suicide even - please remember WE CARE, WE ARE HERE and WE LOVE YOU!!! THERE IS HOPE! THERE IS HELP! Please remember suicide is NOT the answer!!!  You have so much to give to this world still!!! Please stick around and show it to us!!! IT DOES AND IT WILL GET BETTER!!!



In loving memory of Jamie Graham who will always be missed.



Dear Jamie



Red roses
wilted
mark the
spot
where you
last walked
Alone
That ever fateful
night
No cry
was heard
by human ears
as the shot
rang out.
But now the
cries echo
through our
ears, our
minds, our hearts
and souls.
They are the
anguished cries of
all of us
who knew
you, who
held you
close and so
dear to our
hearts.
So now
here we stand
where red
roses wilted
mark the
spot where
you last
walked.
To say good-bye
is so hard to
do, I still
can't believe
you're gone.
All those things
I wanted to say
that now will
have to wait.
But I have faith
that one day
in a far better place
we will meet again.
And I pray that
in that better place
you find the peace
you looked for
that night and
couldn't find.
Good-bye my friend
until we meet
again....................
another time
in a far better place.
JM Oliver - July 15 1999





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Animal Rescue Groups

If you are a non profit animal rescue/sanctuary/organization and would like/need photos done of the animals in your care so they can be adopted quickly, please be sure to contact me! I will happily come out and take photos of the animals and give you a CD with the digital copies on it & print rights to them so that these great animals can find their fur-ever homes ASAP. I can even post the photos and their information on my F.B. Studio fan page to help find these babies loving homes if you would like.

I have 2 feline rescues as many of you know already, My Sweet Lisa-Lee & Lil Miss Poly-Ana; two great joys in my life that I cannot imagine my world without, and without them I'd not be here as a photographer. I would be thrilled to help your furry friends find their fur-ever homes! So please be sure to contact me HERE if you are an animal rescue/sanctuary that would like to have some photos taken.